Re: [SLE] mysql root permission denied
  • From: steve <fsanta@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 13:43:13 +0000
> steve wrote:
> > Does this look good?
>
> No ;-)
>
> Have you set a password for mysql at all? If you haven't and you try to
> use one, you'll see that message.
>
> Try it without the password.
>
> mysqladmin -u root status
>
> sjb

# mysqladmin -u root status
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)'

As a user I can just type mysql and make tables in the test database no
problem:
~> mysql
Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 13 to server version: 3.23.52-log

mysql> show databases;
+----------+
| Database |
| mysql |
| test |
2 rows in set (0.03 sec)

mysql>

It's just root who can't login. I know it's working because of this. I just
want to be able to get it right before I let my students loose on the 'net
with php. Thanks for your patience. Steve.