Re: [SLE] HP 6300C scanner
  • From: Paul Conn <pclist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 19:03:36 +1100
On Wed, 6 Nov 2002 22:49:50 -0500
Patrick <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wednesday 06 November 2002 06:29 pm, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> > On Wednesday 06 November 2002 18:24 pm, Patrick wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I know I have seen some on this list mention that they have a
> > > HP6300C scanner connected to their SuSE machine and working ok, so
> > > tell me how? I have searched the database and mail archives as I
> > > thought something might be there, but did not see anything
> > > connected to this model. I am guessing I saw something in reply to
> > > another HP scanner where someone mentioned it.
> > >
> > > Here are the specifics: SuSE 8.0, USB connection
> > > YaST2 sees the scanner sets up for it correctly, pretty much that
> > > is! YaST2 won't run the test scan and the programs don't want to
> > > see it. Checking the hp.conf files, I find this: scsi HP &
> > > /dev/scanner
> > >
> > > I am thinking this might be a problem since it is a USB scanner?
> > > Maybe it should be usb HP & usb /dev/usbscanner instead?
> > >
> > > Thanks for your input.

I followed the following advice and it got my HP6200C working under both
8.0 and 8.1 -

1. check that the usbscanner driver is available, do a

cat /proc/bus/usb/drivers

this should give you something like

usbdevfs
hub
hid
48- 63: usbscanner

If so, the driver is ok. Now have a look at the permissions on the driver
(this is usually the critical problem)

ls -l /dev/usbscanner

If it shows
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 180, 48 Jan 19 2001 /dev/usbscanner or similar,
it is NOT ok. do,(as su)
chmod 666 /dev/usbscanner

next /etc/sane.d/hp.conf should look like

/dev/usnscanner
option connect-device

You should now be cooking with gas as they say. Run xsane to see if device
is recognised.

Hope this helps?
Paul.

< Previous Next >