Re: [SLE] Re: Fwd: HELP! Uninstalled CUPS and can't boot into KDE
  • From: Graham Smith <gqs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 15:53:09 +1100
On Thu, 7 Nov 2002 08:24 am, you wrote:
> Graham,
>
> xinit .... won't take. Says server cannot connect to 0:0
>
> Keep in mind, that upon booting, I run straight into a window manager. I
> don't not need to enter "startx" first. Am I not doing something right?
>
> Tom
>
> Could you try the following command to start kde from a terminal
> window.
>
> xinit /opt/kde3/bin/startkde -- :0
>
> That should start kde, then have a look at the
> Control Centre -- System --login manager
>
> At least the above should get kde working.
>
> Also have a look to see if your WINDOWMANAGER env variable is set.
> graham@merlin:~> set | grep WINDOW
> WINDOWMANAGER=/usr/X11R6/bin/kde
>
> if not try exporting it; e.g.
> export WINDOWMANAGER=/usr/X11R6/bin/kde
> and then try running startx

Tom,

First you have to stop using init 5 for login as it will try and start the
Xserver first off and you will end up chasing your tail.

Do <ctrl> <Alt> F1 to swith to a terminal window and login as root.

Issue the command
init 1
and once you get back to the prompt as root issue
init 3

Now from another terminal <ctrl> <Alt> F2 login as yourself.
You should be able to run the above commands and check your environment
variables

BTW: I suggest you post directly to the SuSE list as you will get a better
response than from me. (I'm not always at home looking at my email) Also
someone else may have a better idea of what is corrupted or missing.

Regards,

Graham Smith