Re: [SLE] Apache and SuSE config
  • From: poeml@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 02:10:43 +0100
On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 11:35:00AM -0800, Dominic Maraglia wrote:
> SuSE's documentation states that, if using SuSEconfig, one should not
> manually edit httpd.conf, as this will cause a failure when running
> md5check sums. Fair enough. So then, is it safe/acceptable to
> manually edit the httpd.conf.SuSEconfig?

In a way, it is always safe because due to the stored md5sum SuSEconfig
will notice that the file is modified by someone else, and refrain from
changing that particular file.

Also, it is by all means acceptable -- you just need to be aware that
SuSEconfig's service will no longer be available afterwards (for that
particular file). But as you usually will start out with a fresh
configuration, adapted by SuSEconfig to your needs, and from then on do
not really need it any longer, this might not be worrying you at all.

As Togan pointed out it is a good idea to put the local configuration
into other files instead of scattering it into httpd.conf. This is also
the method I prefer, for 2 reasons: First, you keep the overview about
your own configuration. (Note that apache first reads the complete
config, before it starts to assemble it, so the order is often not
important.) Second, there will be a time when your httpd.conf will be
replaced by a fresh one, either by a major version upgrade, or maybe
with the migration to another system. Then you will be glad if you kept
your own stuff separately!

Nevertheless in many cases you'll still find yourself doing one or two
changes to httpd.conf itself (some things can't be overridden once they
are set, like CustomLog). But these small changes will be easy to merge
into another new httpd.conf. Especially if you use version control,
which can be as easy as "ci -l httpd.conf" and "rcsdiff -u ...".

Then again, as SuSEconfig does change only a few places in httpd.conf
itself, you may want to change things yourself and still use
SuSEconfig... just remove the file
/var/adm/SuSEconfig/md5/etc/httpd/httpd.conf
and SuSEconfig will ignore your changes.

In doubt compare SuSEconfig's version with the current file, e.g.:
diff -u /etc/httpd/httpd.conf /etc/httpd/httpd.conf.SuSEconfig

Peter