Re: [SLE] Re: Fwd: HELP! Uninstalled CUPS and can't boot into KDE
  • From: Graham Smith <gqs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 04:10:18 +1100
On Thu, 7 Nov 2002 03:32 am, Tom Nielsen wrote:
> SNIPPED <
>
> No luck. Still getting FVWM (or whatever it is).
>
> At this point I'm really stuck! I'm at work now and will try anything
> any one recommends, but I will have to do it later tonight (California
> time) when I get home...or maybe at lunch.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

Hi Tom,

Could you try the following command to start kde from a terminal window.

xinit /opt/kde3/bin/startkde -- :0

That should start kde, then have a look at the
Control Centre -- System --login manager

At least the above should get kde working.

Also have a look to see if your WINDOWMANAGER env variable is set.
graham@merlin:~> set | grep WINDOW
WINDOWMANAGER=/usr/X11R6/bin/kde

if not try exporting it; e.g.
export WINDOWMANAGER=/usr/X11R6/bin/kde