Re: [SLE] who can telll me what CUPS is?
  • From: Togan Muftuoglu <toganm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 12:10:04 +0200

Le Mercredi 6 Novembre 2002 10:44, Togan Muftuoglu a écrit :
* Wade(Huide) Yin; <linux.wade@xxxxxxx> on 06 Nov, 2002 wrote:
>thanks

Why should you bother to do a STFW while there are people on this list
who will feed you today and tomorrow

http://www.google.com/linux?q=cups&sourceid=opera&num=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I don't know what a STFW is, but I guess it is not very nice. Why do you say that? Wade is new, he wants to know what CUPS is, what's wrong with that? The kind of thing you usually find on the web is rather technical, so it is OK to ask for a simple explanation.

"Search The Fine Web" so you think searching the web is not nice :-)

Linux is supposed to be community where we help each other. Please make it stay that way.

I strongly agree however in order to gain the maximum benefit it is my
understanding that the person who needs assistance on a subject
a) has done a preliminary research of information
b) either has not found anything related to his question or the
information he/she has founded is highly technical the person is
confused or is inadequate to solve the problem or answer the question.
c) under these circumstances the person who needs further assistance
should tell the steps he/she has done so far and where he is getting
lost and ask for assistance.

This way it is easier to make suggestions and offer asssistance. I could
have easly said Common Unix Printing System, which answers the question
in a very vague manner.
Chineese proverb

"Give a man a fish you feed him for today
"Teach a man howto fish you feed him for his life"

I prefer the second since I do not like going fishing everyday to feed
someone

--

Togan Muftuoglu
Unofficial SuSE FAQ Maintainer