Re: [SLE] HELP! Uninstalled CUPS and can't boot into KDE
  • From: Thibaut Cousin <cousin@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 09:13:35 +0100

Le Mardi 5 Novembre 2002 20:54, Richard Bos a écrit :
> I don't understand it.
>
> Op dinsdag 5 november 2002 19:25, schreef Thibaut Cousin:
> > Synaptic (or Apt) is a good software to INSTALL things and taking care
> > of the dependencies at the same time. But it is extremely bad for
> > removing things, especially fundamental packages.
>
> I just simulated to remove cups using synaptic. It shows with little red
> arrows which dependend packages are being removed as well. So there is a
> visual warning, what is going to happen.
>
> The same thing when you use apt from the command line. It always tells you
> what is going to happen and you always must confirm. What else can a tool
> do to protect a user?
>
> Fundamental packages can be protected to be removed. Just add the package
> name to /etc/apt/rpmpriorities. Should cups be part of this file by
> default?

In SuSE 8.0, I suggest NOT using Apt/Synaptic for changing the printing
system. Here is what I did to do this:

- - manually remove lprng and two related packages (lpdfilter and filters) with
the command:
rpm -e --nodeps lprng lpdfilter filters
- - then launch YaST2 module "Add/Remove Software". It complains about broken
dependencies and asks you to choose between cups-client and lprng. Choose the
one you want and YaST2 will sort out the dependencies.

Once this is done, you have a clean system and can play with Synaptic.

- --
Thibaut Cousin
E-mail : cousin@xxxxxxxx
Web : http://clrwww.in2p3.fr