Re: [SLE] HELP! Uninstalled CUPS and can't boot into KDE
  • From: Thibaut Cousin <cousin@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 09:10:01 +0100

Le Mardi 5 Novembre 2002 21:39, KMcLauchlan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx a écrit :
> > As said in my other reply on this subject. Synaptic/apt is
> > telling you what
> > it is going to do and ask you for a confirmation. Synaptic
> > tells you that it
> > is going to remove X packages and you are provided an option
> > to show details.
> > This is showing what packages are to be removed.
> > Was this confirmation not shown to you?
>
> Oh, probably... among hundreds, since this was the first
> time running it for more than a small test. But, I was
> accustomed to YaST(x) telling me about dozens of files
> that would be uninstalled, re-installed, etc.

Apt relies only on the information provided in the RPM packages, whereas
YaST (1 or 2) has a "meta-database" to sort things out. So Apt can run into
situations where it does the wrong thing. For example, what happened to you:
Apt removed too many things in order to remove CUPS, then was not aware of
the damage and reinstalled only what you explicitely told him to (+
dependencies).
The only way out is to have RPM packages with much more information, but it
isn't possible with the RPM format as it is now. Only the DEB format (used by
Debian distribution) can do that. Apt is a Debian tool, in fact. It was
ported to RPM because it is nice, but it cannot work really without a
"meta-database" to make up for the limited features of RPM...

OK, back to helping you. You have SuSE 8.0, so the only thing you can't do
from my previous message is the automatic replacement of CUPS by LPRng (or
vice-versa).
The text-mode YaST you have is YaST2, so you can use it just like the
graphical one. So go in "Software" and "Add/Remove Software" to get back a
working basic system. Do you need a list of things that must be installed?
First, SuSE 8.0 uses LPRng. CUPS is available but I was never happy with it,
so I suggest you stick with LPRng. Check that ghostscript-x11 is installed.
Same for YaST2 packages (sorry, I don't remember the names, there are many of
them, but for example yast2-printer-something). Then check for kdebase3 (it
contains KDM and the KDE windows manager. That should be enough, thanks to
dependencies, to get back a working basis.

As for Tom similar problem with upgrading, I'm surprised. Tom, did you
install things before you ran Synaptic? In particular, did you upgrade a SuSE
package with a newer one found on the web?
Each distribution has its own dependency system, so a package made for
Redhat can create problems in a SuSE, confusing Synaptic. And when Synaptic
is confused, it removes. :-( But if you ran Synaptic on a clean system, then
you shouldn't have had that problem. I did that on five computers with SuSE
8.0 without problems.

- --
Thibaut Cousin
E-mail : cousin@xxxxxxxx