Re: [SLE] Why am I afraid to boot my 8.0?
On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 07:07, Patrick wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 November 2002 12:32 am, ZephyrQ wrote:
> > First, the problem. Due to a glitch/powersurge/young-un kicking the
> > case (I'm not sure which) I lost my ability to go into X.
> =====================
>
> ZephyrQ,
> You might want to run an fsck on your hard drive as some damage might
> have occurred during the glitch. That may be the reason things refuse
> to work reliably for you as info is being written to a damaged area of
> the hard or several files are damaged due to the "glitch"!

Thanx for the advice. I *did* run fsck on my drive--and the initial
problem has not repeated. I'm not sure what caused it, but an
under-cooled system might be the culprit (I suspect a fan that I need to
replace...).

My problems aren't so much what happened at the start, but trying to
correct problems that the 'corrections' caused...