What's up with ifup in SuSE 8.1
  • From: Jason Joines <joines@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 17:00:46 -0600
I have a 3c905B NIC. I've had both SuSE 8.0 and United Linux Beta 3 on it and both ran just fine. Today I wiped out UL to try SuSE 8.1. I did a network install so the NIC was still working and the install all seemed to go fine.

However, on the first reboot and then later when trying to manually run the network script I get the errrors:
lo ifup: Could not get a valid interface name: -> skipped
eth0 ifup: Could not get a valid interface name: -> skipped

If I try to run "ifup eth0", "ifup lo", manually, I get the same error. ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-lo both exist in /etc/sysconfig/network and look just fine.

If I configure and bring either up using ifconfig, they work fine.
If I manually run dhcpcd on eth0, it works just fine.

What's up with ifup?

Thanks,

Jason Joines
Open Source = Open Mind