Re: [SLE] Installing Software
  • From: Salman Khilji <skhilji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 17:13:43 -0800

> I'm very new to Linux. I have SuSE 8.0 on my computer now.
>
> I wanted to install some software I downloaded off the 'net.
>
> According to the instructions, I'm supposed to gunzip and tar the files.
> Then perform:
>
> ./configure
> make
>
> Unfortunately, I get an error with 'make'. I tried man make, but no
> entries.
>
> Is there another way to install software in SuSE?
>
> Mark

For newbies, I don't recommend installing from sources. If you can spend $40
on the distro, that would be nice. Then all you have to do is to use yast
and install the pre-built sofware.

NOTE: I am not trying to sell you anything---The thing is for newbies, there
is a lot to learn, so the CDs or (DVD in the Professional Edition) really
help. If you don't want to spend $$$, you can download the ISOs and burn
your own CDs, but please don't ask me what an ISO is and how to burn them.

Salman