Going somewhere, hopefully ...
  • From: Lao Toma <laotoma@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 19:12:44 +0000
Hi!

I used to have a dual boot (MS Windows XP Pro / SuSE Linux 8.0) working fine on my SONY Vaio PGC-FX505.
This was until I tried to install SuSE 8.1

Nothing wrong with SuSE itself, but I ran short of disk space and the nightmare started ...

Unable to reboot under SuSE 8.0 (EBDA too big error message - some may remember I posted several messages about his a few weeks ago, to no avail)
Staring MS Windows XP Pro through the dual boot loader was OK. And life went on, Linux orphan ...

I ten bought Partition Magic 8.0 to try and reclaim some space for mthe two Windows NTFS partitions created as C: and D:
I resized them both, merged the resulting free zone, moved it lower so that the disk structure looks like

Linux '/'ext2
Available
Linux Swap partititon
Windows NTFS C:
Windows NTFS D:

And all went wrong:

On the Windows partions I have a 'Partition improperly unmounted' error and no joy to boot
On the Linux partition ... EBDA too big

So I tried to boot from a 'Linux on CD' distro (KNOPPIX 3.1) and YES, it worked.
It booted OK, I have 4 partitons listed:
hda1 the Linux / ext2 (fully accessible)
hda3 (not accessible)
hda4 Windows NTFS C: (fully accessible)
hda5 Windows NTFS D: (fully accessible)

Now that I am going somewhere, what's the next step to achieve my initial goal?
allocate to the Linux / partiton more space from what was reclaimed from the Windows partitions?

(I would like to avoid to have to trnasfer all the files to another machine through NFS, reformat the HDD, install SuSE 8.1 and import the savec files ...)

All (good) ideas welcome!!

TIA

Lao Toma