Re: [SLE] SuSE opens Linux desktop for Windows
  • From: Philipp Thomas <pth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 20:56:55 +0100
Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx> [Sat, 2 Nov 2002 05:37:16 +0100]:

>I don't think it's a binary/open source issue.

Partly it is. Just one example: the open source nv driver accepts
modelines the closed source nvidia driver rejects, without any
documentation what-so-ever as to why.

>X is designed?

Nice try :-) But things like DRM or the module loader in XFree86 are
indeed designed.

>Linux has to support both if 'regular' windows users are to be won over.

It does! But given that no one besides the vendor con look inside a
closed source driver, it's impossible to say if the vendor is doing it
right or not. I know of at least one closed source driver which does
things that would cause an open driver to be rejected the instance it
would hit lkml.

I don't claim that this is always the case, but who can control it,
given that there is no source to check?

>The fact that the kernel *still* doesn't have a stable ABI to support
>vendor provided modules on CDs shipped with the hardware is to my mind
>the biggest disgrace in the kernel design.

The linux kernel is still a moving target and as such a stable API is
impossible. For instance there is a discussion over changing the
handling of modules to eliminate many problems the current interface
can't handle (like safe removal of a module in a preemptive kernel). If
a stable API had already been introduced, such changes would be nearly
impossible.

>I have no ideological reasons for using linux,

Neither have I. At least besides the fact that linux gives me more
freedom to mess around with things :) For me as a developer/hacker,
Linux is a huge playground that also allows me to earn my living :)

Philipp

--
Philipp Thomas work: pthomas@xxxxxxx
Development SuSE Linux AG private: pth@xxxxxxxxx