Re: [SLE] Character sets, etc.
  • From: Togan Muftuoglu <toganm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 16:58:34 +0200
* Patrick; <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> on 02 Nov, 2002 wrote:
Hi all,

I have a quandry that I am hoping someone here can answer for me. While chatting in KSirc last evening, I started playing with getting my "compose" key working so that I could type the special characters, like ¿, ë, é, ö, 98°, etc. Well, everything seems to work ok with all the special characters except for the Euro sign. I get displayed while typing, a small circle with 4 spikes coming out of it, but it displays correctly when being viewed by someone in Europe I might be chatting with and also when I view a mail from anyone, including myself in kmail. What I don't understand is why, when I am typing or using any of the chat programs that it displays as the circle with spikes?
I type this ¤ ¤ ¤ and see not a euro, but a spikey little circle! So where does one go now to change the character set group. I think my system is set for iso8859-1, which seems to include the euro, but I am guessing that most european users are using the iso8859-15 group which is the extended set with the euro. Someone can explain, yes, no?

Try but placing this this to your $/.Xmopmap

keycode= 26 EuroSign
and restart your X session ( no reboot )

as my understanding is your keyboard does not produe the correct
keycode you can play around with xev". Just open a terminal and type xev
and then start playing it will show the keycode generated along with
the symbol it is printing

As far as iso-8859-1 is concerned EuroSign is not available (see man
iso-8859-1) so it is realistic to use iso-8859-15 (see man iso-8859-15

Better aproach would be to use UTF-8 so many other character setw will
be displayed and you do not have to worry about it. If I can do this
with Turkish you should be singing and dancing ( Turkish support is very
very little except the menu's thats is all, which is as far as I am
concerned a crap)

--

Togan Muftuoglu
Unofficial SuSE FAQ Maintainer