Re: [SLE] Wine question of installing software from CD
  • From: zentara <zentara@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 08:32:21 -0500
On Sat, 2 Nov 2002 13:21:06 +0200
jaakko tamminen <jaakko.tamminen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I'm first time starting to play with Wine.
>
>My spouse have a game on CD, and when I'm trying to install it with Wine, it
>comes up with a small "M$" kind of window with only "OK" button, and no text.
>
>When I click on that, the installation stops.
>
>On the lower-edge of screen there is "xxx installation wizard" or something
>like that (it is in Finnish), that has progress bar up to 100%.. This looks
>as it should.
>
>What can I do??

If you have a dual boot, the first thing to try, is to install the game to a real
windows system, and see if wine will run it, after it is installed.
The standard wine dosn't handle installing too well.
If it runs, then copy it off to your linux system, and tar it
up as a backup.

If you don't have a dual boot, you can still install it on some windows machine,
then zip it up and ftp it to your linux system. You might have to tweak it, by getting
it's ini files, etc.

--
use Perl; #powerful programmable prestidigitation