Re: [SLE] Hylafax / Susefax
  • From: Brian Marr <cabernet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 20:19:07 +1030
Suse 8.0
In recent times KDE have improved fax integration . On this system Internet >
Communication > send a fax will provide you with a basic GUI to send a fax.
Naturally Hylafax needs to be running. In kde programs you can fax anything
by using the "print to fax" feature. This is available in the print dialogue
box. Like you, I watch the modem to see that the fax is sent. The directory
/var/spool/fax has all of the Hylafax config files. This is where sent faxes
are stored. Hylafax also gives a result in /var/log/messages which most Linux
users have running in the background.
Hylafax requires a postscript file for sending text. This is normal procedure.
Just imagine the millions of file formats out their. It would be
impracticable to support them all. But if they can be turned into a
postscript file they can be faxed.
Susefax is a Java front end for Hylafax. It provides only a basic faxing
service. I don't think it is being developed any further. Gfax is a gnome
front end for Hylafax. Ksendfax is also worth a look.
Brian Marr

On Saturday 02 November 2002 10:12, Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
> I am using Suse 8.0 and have since recent not worked with
> hylafax.
> In the need to send a fax from home I have set up hylafax
> and as I wanted to send a photo by fax choose to send a
> jpg. As I had set the fax setup to give no modem sound I
> only found that the light on my telephone switcher lighted
> up and I saw activity on the modem.
> No other indicators what however that a fax was send.
> Only after the recipient phoned me I knew that the fax went
> through and was received in good order. No info from
> hylafax though.
> Question: is there a means to see the progress?
> E.g. Gkrellm does not show anything. Other programs?
>
> Thinking of Susefax mentioned as a Suse overlay for
> hylafax, I decided to have a look at Susefax.
> First discovery. It is in German only. That not being of
> big concern after having lived and worked for many years in
> Germany it does not fit in my actual setup.
> Choice of countries for setting the local time was
> minuscule.
> Deciding to send a test file I discovered that Susefax does
> not want to send other files as only postscript.
> Is there any development in Susefax? Is there a
> international version? I did not find anything at Suse.

< Previous Next >