Re: [SLE] SuSE opens Linux desktop for Windows
  • From: Philipp Thomas <pth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 04:52:02 +0100
Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx> [Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:39:31 +0100]:

>You could use the X server for more than a game couldn't you?

Yeah, and have a Xserver that'll possibly break when I switch to another
kernel or other libraries. No thanks!

>but they have traditionally given the linux community outstanding
>support.

What, please, do you call outstanding support? I don't want to recall
the troubles I had with the Nvidia drivers. And looking at the trouble,
binary only drivers have caused for SuSE, I've decided to plainly refuse
to run binary only drivers if I can avoid it.

Binary only apps I can live with (grudgingly), but bo drivers are just
simply BAD. Even some core XFree86 developers agree that it was a bad
idea to introduce the modular design, given the way vendors have abused
it to create bo xfree modules.

>I heard so much about the ATI community support, and yet I could never
>get any to work worth a damn.

Oh, my Radeon 7500 @work is running beautifully without a problem.

Philipp

--