Re: [SLE] Two NIC's in one box
  • From: zentara <zentara@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 13:05:45 -0500
On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 12:17:53 -0500
Jonathan Cowherd <jonathan.cowherd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Is this for any NIC?

>>I think that the NICs must be able to support MAC assignment. There
>>are a only a few cards that do, usually called server adapters. I
>>think only CISCO supports it at the switch level, so if you start
>>getting packet lose, it may be either not be turned on or not
>>supported.
>
>Try :
>
>ifconfig eth1 down
>ifconfig eth1 hw ether DE:AD:BE:EF:BA:BE
>ifconfig eth1 up
>

>From what I understand, the MAC address for each nic is programmed into
the card's eeprom, but the address is usually cached in memory somewhere,
to have faster response times. The above method adjusts that cached memory
location, which for all intents and purposes gets used for your mac address.

So it works, but you may get kicked off a network if you try it. :-)

I read somewhere, where a guy on a cable network accidently used the
above trick to take over the dns server of the cable system. Needless to
say, the cable system sysadmin wasn't too happy.

--
use Perl; #powerful programmable prestidigitation