Mantel to the rescue? Re: [SLE] 8.1 update news
  • From: Joe Sullivan <firechild@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 15:42:11 +0100
Replying to myself. Hmmm...

I'm looking at the changes to Mantel's kernel and seeing a couple things:

-------------------
Wed Oct 16 01:26:22 CEST 2002 - agruen@xxxxxxx

- Fix error handling in acl-ext3: Users triggerable error may
panic the kernel if the FS error behavior is set to panic.
-------------------

Not sure exactly what this means. But I do have ext3 file systems on one of my
hard drives. I'm not quite sure, but it's possible I was accessing that HD
when the panics occured. Could this be the problem?

-----------------
Mon Oct 14 16:41:46 CEST 2002 - mantel@xxxxxxx

- work around severe bug in older VIA southbridges

Dunno what a southbridge is, but I know I have some VIA stuff in this
computer....

This is leading me to think that maybe Mantel's kernel fixes the problem.
Since I dunno what the real problem is, it's hard to tell.

Maybe I'll give that a try this weekend. I really need to get some regular
work done though, so I'll stick with 8.0 for a few more days at least.

Joe