Re: [SLE] SuSE opens Linux desktop for Windows -- It takes a community effort
  • From: "Joe & Sesil Morris (NTM)" <Joe_Morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 20:04:16 +0800
On 10/31/2002 01:03 AM, Johnathan Bailes wrote:

Not sure it will fail but its the wrong approach IMHO. It will take a
community effort backed by UnitedLinux, RedHat, Mandrake and even IBM to
put together a true wine compatibility layer for windows apps so distros
do not have to rely on other companies to give people the safety net of
running windows apps.

After having been an OS/2 user for several years before SuSE linux, I can tell you that this idea is also non workable. IBM had Win/OS2, which was more stable than native Windows 3.1 (I guess that wasn't too hard ;-) ), but Microsoft will constantly change the goal post to make something break. A better idea is to build native apps that outperform M$. That is something M$ can do nothing about, but fear.

--
Joe & Sesil Morris
New Tribes Mission