Re: [SLE] Slow YOU update times in 8.1
  • From: Dan Laba <danlaba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 11:17:55 +0000 (GMT)
--- Doug Glenn <dglenn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am experiancing 15-20 minute waits on a cable connection before it
> displays the results where I can choose the packages. This same time
> occurs no matter what site I select, or if I select manual or
> automatic.

Same problem here. on 3 computers. One of them is laptop so i run YOU at home
(DSL) or at work (LAN). Slow.... 15 minutes at least. I use ftp.gwdg.de as
YOU site. If I manually ftp into it and download items it's fast, but when
used with YOU is takes a lot of time to display the packages :(

The login time to this ftp site is very big though. Does YOU login, take the
package patch description and logoff, repeating this for every package?
This might be an explanation...

In 8.0 YOU was fast (same site).

This might be a problem cause I want to show people look, I have update like
WinDOS update site, but when I try to demo they are bored of waiting...

A solution will be to mirror locally and then use our own ftp site for Online
Update.... It will be just a way to avoid the problem, not a solution :(

Hmmmm, this still might be an good idea, this way I could check if the
login/logoff is done for each and every package...

Bye for now,
Dan.

=====
Proprietary software companies seek to improve their competitive position by locking users into their products -- that is, making them dependent on a particular data or file format