Re: [SLE] SuSE opens Linux desktop for Windows [ot]
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dougmack@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 22:13:20 -0500
At 20:41 10/30/2002 -0800, Salman Khilji wrote:

>> > offerings also and decide on using those instead of Ms Office.
>> >

>I'd like to add a comment regarding MS Office. There is no way that
>OpenOffice (or ANY other office product) is ever going to beat MS Office.
>Even if Open Office were to be better than MS Office some day, it still
>wouldn't.
>
>Today, even if companies wanted to use OpenOffice or some alternative
product,
>they will be forced to use MS Office. The reason being that the US
goverment
>(or at least the DoD that I am aware of) requires on government subcontracts
>for all documentation to be delivered in MS Word format. It used to be
>WordPerfect a few years ago. Back in those days even if you wanted to use
>Word, you had to use WordPerfect because that is what you customer wanted.
>
>If the customer (the government in this case) had been satisfied with Word
>Pefect for so long, then why switch to Word all of a sudden? What happened
>to all the investment that they had made in WordPefect? Clearly Bill Gates
>all upper management people in M$ have the power and contacts up there to
>influence such decisions. Who knows---they might have paid several
>individuals big $$$ to make the decision to switch to Word and dump
>WordPerfect.
>
>So unless the OpenOffice community can come up with some magic like that,
I am
>afraid, we'll have to live with the piece of crap for the rest of our lives
>(Have you ever tried to create a large document in Word with Graphics?)
What
>we need is the government make a decision for all documentation to be
>delivered in "XXXXX Office for Linux". Untill that happens, all of us will
>be slaves to Bill Gates.
>
>Salman

Let's be realistic: When WordPerfect was taken over, and WP6 came out, WP6
was TERRIBLE. Ans so was WP8--I don't even remember a WP7. Even the latest
version is not as nice as WP5.2, but you can't use WP5.2 because it can't read
and convert from the modern WORD programs. I wish I could use WP5.2, it was
wonderful. MSWord is no where near as nice, or as easy. But WordPerfect,
when it was sold, just went down the tubes. Ce la vie.

--doug

  • No further messages