Re: [SLE] rpmnew & rpmsave
  • From: gilson redrick <gilsonr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 21:52:56 -0500
On Thursday, 31 October 2002 15:52, Rodney Wishart wrote:
> After upgrading to ver 8.1, I have several files mostly in /etc which end
> in .rpmsave and .rpmnew. . . My question is, can I just delete these
> files. I suspect they are backup files no longer needed.

Just yesterday, I went through a similar situation. You have to be careful
with which is which. *Usually*, .rpmsave is the "old" file, and if everything
has worked fine for sometime, you don't need the file. *Usually*, .rpmnew is
the file created by rpm, to supplant the old file. What I do is, first,
delete the original file (or, if unsure, rename it <oldfile>.orig), then
rename the .rpmnew to the file of same name without the ".rpmnew" extension.

--
Regards,
gr