Re: [SLE] For those with no patience left
  • From: gilson redrick <gilsonr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 21:19:20 -0500
On Thursday, 31 October 2002 21:36, Serguei Chabanov wrote:
> ... In doing so, they are loaded with extraneous garbage which not only
> annoys, but also limits the power user.

Serguei,

You just ruffled one of my favorite feathers ¿-).

Since modules have already been invented, I wonder why so much material is
saddled down on us users, instead of *offered* as available items to be taken
*if and when* desired.

To give just one (out of maybe hundreds) of examples: Do a 'find' and look
for "amiga". There are thousands of kilobytes of files addressing the amiga
computer. Is this AMD-K6 with SuSE-7.3 an amiga computer? Then, why do I have
all those files?. *Again*, I'm not saying that those files are not important
and should not exist! I'm saying that they *should not* have been installed
on my computer *until* I specifically requested so.

One of the many things which bother me a lot is that, at the installation
time, I'm *asked* what applications I want, and then I get at least 25% more
than I chose. For instance, I always check off "games," because I'm not a
games player, but when the installation is finished, I have to go and delete
from the K-menu the games that I explicitly asked *not* to have! (I know I'm
only deleting the icon, not the file; to delete the file it'd be too much
work!)

Thanks for this chance to blow off some steam.

--
Regards,
gr