Re: [SLE] 8.1 update news
  • From: Steve <ssivier1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 17:30:37 -0800
On Thursday 31 October 2002 14:14, Herman L. Knief wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Ben Rosenberg wrote:
>
> ->I tried booting with "apm=off acpi=off" and it didn't do much good. Box
> ->still locked up. I was told it was a combination of things with that
> ->bios for that mb...but that it did work with 1011. *shrug*
> ->
>
> I've run into strange problems with various settings and it seems no two
> machines are alike. Some need apm=off and acpi-off... some need these on
> and other seems to be happier with apic enabled... it seems there's no way
> to tell what the machine will be happy with other than experimenting.
> Laptops are what pains me the most. Is seems the new kernel is built in
> such a way that most laptops I've installed seem to be aware of some form
> of power management... but they all seem to report that they can't give me
> a battery status or anything because apm is only partially enabled.
> Trying to run apmd puke all over itself... so what's left?

Booting with acpi=off has worked with both of my laptops.

However, doing that with my desktop made it unstable. I was trying to allow
the desktop to go to sleep, but it seemed to crash whenever it tried and I
had acpi=off. Without acpi=off, the desktop never even tries to sleep.

Steve

< Previous Next >