Re: [SLE] SuSE 8.0 freeze after some time
  • From: h g <egretlures@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 12:17:28 -0500
On Friday 04 October 2002 03:16, Pär Högberg/Elicon wrote:
> Hi
>
> > This might be your problem. A case is required to direct the air flow
>
> for
>
> > proper cooling. Having said that, many older cases are not designed to
> > provide the cooling required for newer processors. (Do you have an
> > Athlon?) I needed to remove the front cover of my case and add an
>
> exhaust
>
> > fan to avoid system freezes. Perhaps you could point a small fan at your
> > system and see if the problem goes away.
>
> Yesterday I put a desktop-fan directed at the mainboard.
> Now it had run for 24 hours, I give it 2-3 days before i say something.
>
> I have a AMD K6-II at 233 MHz.
> I had it for 6 years without problem, first with Windows 95, then with
> SuSE 7.3
> without any problem.
> But after upgrading to SuSE 8.0 it began to Freeze after less than 12
> hours.
> What can be differet?
>
> If it is the cooling problem, what can i do to fix it?
>
> Pär Högberg

In the past I have run 95,98,NT, and various releases releases of Suse on the
K6's. What I had found that at "idle" NT and Linux the processor temp was 10
to 15 degrees cooler than 95 or 98. I would suggest that you clean not only
the case components but also the processor fan and heatsink. After six years
of operation redoing the heat transfer compound between the cpu and heatsink
would almost certainly be beneficial. At a small cost you could also install
a higher capacity cpu fan.

HTH

Henry

< Previous Next >