Re: [SLE] Talking clock and background symmetry
  • From: Baris Erbas <berbas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 20:37:53 +0000

answering my own question
> > I am trying to install a new version of
> > Mathematica(4.1), and have already version 4.0. I installed the previous
> > version without any problems but when trying to install this one I get a
> > message
> >
> > "MathInstaller cannot determine what kind of computer
> > system it is running on."
> >
> > My system is apprently Linux and I double checked this from the running
> > version with the command $SystemID. I tried reinstalling using the
> > command line option ./MathInstaller -sys Linux. No success!!
> > Do you have any ideas?
> > Btw, have you sorted out the font problem of mathematica?
>
> There's something stupid about the MMA installer. I think you have to
> mount the CDROM read only. Read the installation documentation _very_
> carefully. They show the *exact* syntax. I remember having this problem.
> It was there in 4.0, You probably just forgot, like I did.
>
> HTH

visit the link
http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/systems/linux/general/libcinstallon.html
you dont need to find the rpm since it is already on the Suse 8.0 CD under the
name shlibc(old version). Then follow the instructions...works fine!
cheers

p.s. i still get the error message about fonts every time i start mathematica
:-(, they offer a solution for that as well but havent tried it myself

Baris