Re: [SLE] SuSE 8.0 freeze after some time
  • From: Derek Fountain <fountai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 09:55:45 +0100
> Yesterday I put a desktop-fan directed at the mainboard.
> Now it had run for 24 hours, I give it 2-3 days before i say something.

Give it something to do which will make it hot. Compile the kernel (or better
yet, KDE or Openoffice), or encode a pile of wavs to mp3. If it's still
running after 2 days of that, it'll be OK.

> But after upgrading to SuSE 8.0 it began to Freeze after less than 12
> hours.
> What can be differet?

Overheating problems can be really weird. I know someone who's Windows PC
worked fine (is so far as they do ;o)) until he ran Winzip. That as the only
application he had which would cause the thing to overheat. Tricky one to
track down that because all the symptoms pointed to a broken application.

> If it is the cooling problem, what can i do to fix it?

Try cleaning the dust off the CPU and heatsink - it acts like a blanket. If
that doesn't work, take the heatsink/fan off and reattach it (or a better
one) using a good thermal coupling paste. Or just replace the CPU - if you
can find one, an old AMD chip like that will cost virtually nothing.

--
9:47am up 2 days, 2:23, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.05

< Previous Next >