Re: [SLE] Font installation
  • From: Graham Smith <gqs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 01:41:22 +1000
On Wed, 2 Oct 2002 22:58, Baris Erbas wrote:
> Hi People,
> I have been trying to install fonts from my Windows partition using KDE
> Control Center (I had done it before but then had to remove linux for some
> reason) but I get the message "ERROR: Could not open font"
> What may be the reason?
> thx alot

Hi Baris,

Firstly all the ttf's should be lowercase only from the material I have read.
When you copy them from a MS Windows system they are generally end as
uppercase.

To reinitialise all your truetypes please follow these steps.

1) Change to where the fonts are.
cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype

2) Determine if there are any files been created for the scaling of the ttf's.
ls -l fonts.s*

3) Remove all these files.
rm fonts.s*

4) Create a new font scale file.
ttmkfdir | sed s/^[0-9]*// > fonts.scale.myfonts

5) Now run SuSEconfig.fonts
/sbin/conf.d/SuSEconfig.fonts

6) Run xset to reread the font paths
xset fp rehash

You should be able to see the fonts with
xfontsel

The other thing to check if you are using SuSE 8.0 is to see if xfs (X Font
Server) is running.
YAST --->System---->Runlevel editor----->runlevel properties

--
Regards,