Re: [SLE] set system time ???
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 20:52:23 +0200 (CEST)

Ah, your version is a bit older than mine, I have suse 7.3.

Thankyou for the update. I still have one question, however: which
command is showing the wrong time? I think that you said that Yast
corrected the time, but is was bad again when reboots, correct?

To your question [a]:

- It should read the CMOS clock and update system clock inside the script
/etc/init.d/boot (miine does). Perhaps in your case the script got
corrupted, replace with the original from aaa_base.rpm (check first).
Maybe you could post here the relevant section.

- The file holding the relation between local and utc time is
"/etc/localtime". This file is copied (in your case) from
"/usr/share/zoneinfo/CST6CDT", I think. I assume CDT time is
"Global/CST6CDT" in yast?

I have just changed my local time to yours, in yast2. Now date command
shows:

nimrodel:~ # date
Wed Oct 2 13:08:53 CDT 2002
nimrodel:~ # date -u
Wed Oct 2 18:08:57 UTC 2002

I noticed one thing: yast1 says it will be active after rebooting. With
yast2 it is inmediate.

- Try this:

1) Make sure the "date" command shows time as "CDT", as above (even if
incorrect time, the CDT string must be present). If not, yast should
correct it; perhaps try a different localtime (there are probably more
than one with the same time difference).

2) Make sure you don't have a clock adjustement program or daemon like
netdate, or ntpdate, or xntp client (START_XNTPD="no" and
XNTPD_INITIAL_NTPDATE="" in /etc/rc.config). Stop the daemon if it
exists, so that it doesn't interfere. Delete or rename /etc/adjtime
(boot script in 7.3 recreates it, no problem).

3) Adjust to the correct localtime with "date -set" (not UTC).

4) Set the hwclock to the same time as the system, with "hwclock
--systohc" (not UTC, it should know how to manage).

6) Check with "date" and "hwclock --show". They should be the same
localtime:

nimrodel:~ # date
Wed Oct 2 13:26:14 CDT 2002
nimrodel:~ # hwclock --show
Wed Oct 2 13:26:18 2002 -0.085997 seconds

7) Reboot to check. Keep fingers crossed 8-)

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson