SCSI Problems in SuSE 8.0
  • From: Gregory Sawyer <gdsawyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 11:34:04 -0700
I'm trying to update / install 8.0, and I'm experiencing some problems with
my system that appear to be related to some strange interaction between my
SCSI and IDE disk drives. I've been attempting to hack my way through this
for a couple of days now, and here's what I've found:

1) When I initially upgraded from 7.2 to 8.0, I started to recieve parity
errors -- PCI Error Interupt at seqaddr = <foo>
SCSI0: Date Parity error detected during address or write data phase
(<foo> will vary, but usally is something like Ox8)

2) I jiggered hardware, moved the PCI cards around, shut down my serial and
par ports to open up IRQ just to make sure there weren't conflicts, etc.
Same deal.

3) I installed a base system, then mounted a SCSI partition and an IDE
partition. I then wrote a perl script to write some data out. I discoverd
that writing the data to just a SCSI partition was "fine", error only when
the script started and ended. When I tried writing to an IDE partition,
many parity errors.

4) I booted the 8.0 CD, started manually and installed the AIC7xxx_old SCSI
driver. Then mounted a SCSI partition and an IDE partition. When
attempting to dismount the SCSI partition, I now get a "SCSI Abort command
due to timeout error." This will also happen when when I attempt to copy a
file from the SCSI drive to the IDE. Note that as long as the IDE drive
isn't involve, things are fine.

Having attempted to research this as best possible, I'm kind of at a loss to
figure out what the problem is, and what to try next.

System composition (additional info upon request)

CPU: Athelon K6
IDE
Fujitsu 4 gig disk
a CD drive
a Floppy drive
PCI Devices:
ATI Exprt98 video card
Intel Ethernet Pro 100 NIC
LinkSys LNE100TX EtherFast NIC
Adaptec 29160N SCSI Adaptor (1 9gig Seagate drive + 1 ZIP drive)

USB is on the motherboard, currently driving an Epson printer.

Kernel: 2.4.18

Thanks in advance,

--Gregory

  • No further messages