Re: [SLE] SuSE 8.0 freeze after some time
  • From: "Robert C. Paulsen Jr." <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 07:18:42 -0500
On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 02:04:28PM +0200, Pär Högberg/Elicon wrote:
> Hi
>
> > Is your computer using Advanced Power Management? (APM)
>
> I don't think so, the BIOS don't support APM.
>
> > Has all the indications of overheating. A cron job or something is
> starting
> > which makes demands of the system and the thing gets too hot. Take the
> side
> > of the case off and point a desk fan into it. If the problem goes away,
> you
> > need better cooling.
>
> I don't think.
> All cron jobs are executed at xxx.59 (acordning to the logs).
> the computer freeze at any time, last time at 16.41 yesterday.
>
> by the way, I dont have any case at all.

This might be your problem. A case is required to direct the air flow for
proper cooling. Having said that, many older cases are not designed to
provide the cooling required for newer processors. (Do you have an
Athlon?) I needed to remove the front cover of my case and add an exhaust
fan to avoid system freezes. Perhaps you could point a small fan at your
system and see if the problem goes away.

Another possibility is an inadequate power supply which can also be made
worse by over heating.

--
Robert C. Paulsen, Jr.
robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx