RE: [SLE] SuSE 8.1 Pro which filesystem to use ?
On Tue, 2002-10-01 at 18:21, Jonathan Cowherd wrote:
> I've been using reiserfs for a while and it seems to perform good. I don't
> believe I've lost a file yet with the locks I've had on my machine. I don't
> think it is as fast as ext2 though.
>
> I'm considering switching to ext3 because it has been reported that it is
> overall better performing and the bugs have been ironed out. I've also
> heard that ext3 and reiserfs are equivalent in regular use. I think the
> selling point for me is the ability to convert my existing ext2 partitions
> to ext3 painlessly. :)

Listen, ext3 is fine for servers and gives faster better results for
serving out nfs shares IMO. However, if you are planning on putting
SuSE on a laptop ever as a workstation style install I would go with
reiserfs simply because ext3 insists on doing a long filesystem check
every 30 mounts or so. Also, recovery on a reiserfs after a system goes
down seems to be faster but both are terribly consistent. Either one
can survive a hard reboot with little problems.

--
Johnathan Bailes BAE Systems ESI

"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because
that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn
---