Re: [SLE] Problems with Mantel's 2.4.19-86 and 3c59x (SuSE 8.0)
  • From: Nick LeRoy <nleroy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 22:05:36 -0500
On Tuesday 01 October 2002 05:26 pm, Christopher Mahmood wrote:

> I'd be careful with the kernels in ~mantel. I think this one may
> have the new acpi stuff in it; It looks like the card didn't
> initialize so you might want to try booting with 'acpi=off'. Also,
> it looks like the nic is sharing an interrupt with another device
> which is not a good idea (although since it's a laptop you may not be
> able to do anything about it).

FWIW, I've had good luck with 'em in the past.

Hmm... Actually the built-in 3c59x (eth0) doesn't work, but the PCMCIA
wireless card (Orinoco) does. And, your're right; I don't think that there's
anything I can do about the IRQ. Also, note that _both_ work fine under
2.4.18.

If I were to try a generic kernel (aka Marcelo's 2.4.19 or the latest
pre-20), are there any patches that I'd need to apply to make it work well
with SuSE? I know that in the past I used to apply the ALSA patches, but
with ALSA integrated, that should no longer be an issue. Are there any
others that I need to be aware of (yeah, I _should_ track this stuff better,
but I just don't have the time).

I'll try the acpi=off tomorrow morning.

Thanks

-Nick