Re: [SLE] set system time ???
  • From: "Michael D. Schleif" <mds@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 20:41:18 -0500

<snip />

Thank you, for your continued participation.

Let's summarize:

[1] An associate installed sles 7.2 on a server, then asked me to
remotely access it and correct those things that are not right.

[2] cmos and system clocks were both set to cdt -- I prefer cmos @utc
and system @localtime.

[3] I had him reboot and set cmos clock to utc.

[4] I attempted to use yast/yast2 to correct this situation; which it
did *NOT* do.

[5] I ran this from cli:

hwclock --hctosys --utc

[6] Other linux distros (e.g., debian) use this hwclock command in an
init script to ensure that the two (2) clocks get synced at boottime.

[7] I cannot find any suse init script remotely close to this.

[8] I do not see how this suse system can maintain synchronization
between cmos and hwclock.

This is my problem:

[a] What is the suse way to maintain this synchronization? What need I
do to fix this the suse way?

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know. The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .