Re: [SLE] /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup and xconsole
  • From: Patrick <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 14:44:50 -0400
On Wednesday 02 October 2002 14:31, John Lamb wrote:
> I'm trying to get my xconsole back on the KDE desktop. My
> /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup contains the lines
> ==
> #
> # Only for display :0 we have to set up the xconsole to be
> # sure that the system messages are visible.
> #
> case "$DISPLAY" in
>
> :0|:0.0) ;;
>
> *) exit 0 ;;
> esac
>
> #
> # The geometry of xconsole is set in the Xresource file.
> #
> (
> exec setsid $xconsole -notify -nostdin -verbose -exitOnFail
> ) & echo $! > /var/run/xconsole.pid
>
> exit 0
> ==
> These should start xconsole. In fact it flashes very briefly on the
> screen sometimes just before KDE starts. If I run a script with these
> line in after starting KDE I get an xconsole as desired.
>
> Suggestions please. I like my xconsole :-)
>
> JDL
=======================

JDL,
As I just recently had this problem also, I hope my fix works for you
also. The lines you show were in my file also and I got the brief
flash of the xconsole when trying to activate it. Did you also notice
in the file if you have this section too?

#
# Do not start xconsole for kdm
#
/sbin/checkproc -p /var/run/kdm.pid /opt/kde3/bin/kdm && exit 0
This of course, stops the xconsole from running and should be commented
out. I think mine happened after updating the XFree86 files. I missed
the xconsole also, but from some of the more experienced users, system
messages are better read with the tail -f command in a terminal. An
example might be tail -f /var/log messages and then drop the terminal
window on another desktop, out of your way, but easy to check.

Patrick

Registered Linux User #225206