SuSe Firewalling and protecting against hackers
  • From: PUTH CHAN CHOTH <choth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 11:35:54 +0700
Dear Gurus,

I am using SuSe 7.1 and I would like to configure firewall for this
server machine. I edit the file /etc/rc.config.d/firewall.rc.config like
the following:

START_FW="yes"
FW_DEV_INT="eth0"
FW_DEV_EXT="eth1"
FW_ROUTE="yes"
FW_SERVICES_EXT_TCP="25 80"
FW_SERVICES_INT_TCP="22 25 53 80 110 3128"
FW_SERVICES_INT_UDP="53"
FW_SERVICE_DNS="yes"
FW_STOP_KEEP_ROUTING_STATE="yes"

I would like to open SMTP, WWW for outsider and open SSH, SMTP, DNS,
WWW, POP3, SQUID for the LAN. Is my configuration above correct? What is
the better solution/method to protect the server from being hack by the
hacker (they always scan my server's port)? Thank you so much for your
assistance.

Regards,

Choth