(Again) Konq & Launching Progs as Root
  • From: AnonymousCoward <quantum@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 16:19:15 -0500

.
This problem with Konq is a real PITA.

I can't seem to get subscribed to the kde list (never get confirm), so I'll
ask here.

Running Suse8 with all current updates. It has always been my practice to
run as a user, and to invoke Konq & Konsole in superuser mode when I need
them thus.

But with Suse8 I can no longer (as a user) launch X-based programs from these
windows. Logged in as root I can, but not when as a user and launching from
these programs. For instance in Konq I cannot right-click|OpenWith|Advanced
Editor a file: "KDEInit could not launch 'kwrite'".
And from the su konsole # konqueror and I get:
Xlib: No protocol specified

konqueror: cannot connect to X server :0

In user konsole $ kdesu konqueror yields nothing.

This looks alot like a security issue. Maybe the X server is intentionally
disabled from accepting root commands from a user. Or maybe it's one missing
setup step. Anyone know the answer?
- - --
Manual, n.:
A unit of documentation. There are always three or more on a
given item. One is on the shelf; someone has the others. The
information you need in in the others.
-- Ray Simard