Re: [SLE] Question from non-SuSE user
  • From: Mike <bcomber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 21:14:54 +0200
On Monday 29 April 2002 19:34, Michael Hasenstein wrote:

> > When I do that and type in /home/michael/rpms it tells me there are
> > no installation media can be found. Yast1 always finds it. Am I
> > doing something wrong ? The directory is where I put downloaded
> > rpms.
>
> Okay, I thought you're talking about the installation cd's or
> ftp.suse.com as install. source for packages of the distribution.
> yast2 only works on a full install. tree incl. all those helper files
> that you find on cd, where yast(2) gets its ino from. It doesn't work
> for indiviudual packages.

And therein lies the problem. Yast1 had this "feature" and it would
resolve depencies when installing groups of packages. As an example, I
could download the entire kde directory when an update like 2.2.2 came
out, start yast1, and it would install the files in the right order. I
didn't have to know which order to install them. FWIW, I did try using
just rpm to install a group of packages, and for some reason it
wouldn't work right. Yast1 did the job correctly the first time.

You could also delete packages and yast1 would let you know if you were
about to mess up your system.

> look at http://sdb.suse.com/, there's an article for how to install
> packages in suse linux. I just found it when I checked for all
> articles for SL 8.0. Basically, use e.g. kpackage or just plain
> "rpm"...

I can use rpm all day long. Don't really like Kpackage. Yast2 is
modular, and I would bet that yast1 was similar. Seems like it wouldn't
be that much trouble to take that part of yast1 and put it in Yast2.

Mike