RE: [SLE] ISO backups
  • From: "Alleman, Lowell" <lowella@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 14:48:25 -0400
There are a couple of downsides to compressing these images: The images
will not compress well because most of the files (*.rpm), already use
compression internally; So you wouln't save that much space. It will also
take a long time to compress these images, all depending on your systems
resources. The other problem is that it some how a byte or two of the file
became corrupted, then you may loose the whole file (compression utilities
don't always handle corruption as well as they should. Typically, a few
corrupted bytes on a disc image will not make the disc unusable.)

just something to think about

Lowell Alleman