Re: Rebuilding RH packages for SuSE from source
  • From: "S.Toms" <smotrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 11:50:34 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 28 Apr 2002, Karol Pietrzak wrote:

kp> On 28 Apr 2002, S.Toms wrote:
kp>
kp> > I've done it a number of times in the past, just pay attention
kp> > to where
kp> > it installs things in relation to init files, documentation and
kp> > config files. I have found those to not coincide with where suse
kp> > would install them. A quick modification here and there in the
kp> > spec file was usually all it would take.
kp>
kp> On a related note, RedHat is going to support the LSB by the end
kp> of this year.
kp>

True, I heard that myself recently (can't recall where) but I wouldn't
assume that every RPM that is out there will be converted overnight. Not
unless it explicitly says it's for RedHat v.X (whatever version becomes
LSB compliant), even then, I would still watch them closely to be sure
that a packager didn't overlook something in there hurry to re-release
their source RPM.
But when they are 100% complienat then it should make it alot easier to
share RPM's and SRPM's between the distributions.

kp> http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,51025
kp> 84,00.html
kp>
kp> Linux users of the world, rejoice.