Re: Rebuilding RH packages for SuSE from source
  • From: "S.Toms" <smotrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 10:31:20 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 28 Apr 2002, Paul W. Abrahams wrote:

pa> How useful is it likely to be to rebuild RedHat packages from RedHat
pa> sources? Since many of the directories in typical RPM spec files are
pa> parameterized by info in the local RPM configuration files and since
pa> the configuration files specify the directories that SuSE uses, it's
pa> at least plausible that it would work most of the time.
pa>

I've done it a number of times in the past, just pay attention to where
it installs things in relation to init files, documentation and config
files. I have found those to not coincide with where suse would install
them. A quick modification here and there in the spec file was usually all
it would take.

pa> Paul
pa>
pa>