Re: [SLE] Wait for 8.1?
  • From: Patrick <tracerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 17:21:16 -0400
On Saturday 27 April 2002 17:09, Keith Winston wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 01:13:01PM -0400, Paul W. Abrahams wrote:
> > Now that 8.0 is out and people are getting some experience with it,
> > I'm wondering if it pays to wait for version 8.1 rather than live
> > on the "bleeding edge". I've usually found that the ".0" version
> > of any product is much less stable than the next one. With all
> > the changes, particularly to KDE, I'm worried about the stability
> > of 8.0. (If I don't get 8.0 I'll certainly get 8.1, so SuSE will
> > sell me a copy in any case.)
>
> Well, my experience with 8.0 so far has been positive overall. I
> haven't had any issues with KDE3 and anti-aliasing seems improved, as
> well as program start times. There are many updated packages
> compared to 7.3, but you can always get up to date with YaST on 7.3.
> The change from rc.config to /etc/sysconfig was a huge change, but
> the only thing that seems truly broken is the PCMCIA/hotplug system,
> particularly with wireless cards and multiple encryption keys. It is
> not something that is going to affect too many people, but it did me
> :( I think most users will be happy with 8.0.
>
> Best Regards,
> Keith
======================
Keith,
I don't think happy is the word to use, because I think most users will
be estatic with 8.0! Everything is really well done and doing a fresh
install keeps everything happy! The only thing I am wanting that I
haven't seen yet is the midi? I guess alsa 0.9 still has no support
there with the programs available. Hopefully that will happen soon
too. Overall, SuSE 8.0 is a winner!

Patrick
--
--- KMail v1.4 --- SuSE Linux Pro v8.0 ---
Registered Linux User #225206

< Previous Next >