Mailinglist Archive: opensuse (3378 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [SLE] How to upgrade from a 7.3 system to 8.0 ?
  • From: Paul Uiterlinden <puiterl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 23:18:16 +0200
  • Message-id: <3CCB1598.9020003@xxxxxxxxx>
Ben Rosenberg wrote:

* Anders Dahlqvist (dahlqvist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) [020427 10:01]:
::Answer is OK, but please don't scare away the newcomers.
::Haven't we had enough arrogance on this list lately?

Oh come now. Beating down someone who keeps smacking himself with a
hammer isn't arrogance. It's sad..and sometimes fun. ;)

But yes..lets not scare of the newbies.


Okay, okay, I was a bit blunt. Perhaps because my upgrade was not
what you would call "smooth sailing".


::lördagen den 27 April 2002 11.48 skrev Paul Uiterlinden:
:::: Ronald Wiplinger wrote:
:::: > How can I upgrade a system from 7.3 to 8.0 professional, without loosing
:::: > the old settings.


[snip very constructive description by Ben]

And do the upgrade. I went from 7.1 - 7.3 without a hitch. Yesterday my
office mate took 7.3 to 8.0 and it worked fine.

And now some ways to make it work less fine: ;-)


1) Have your /boot partition mounted read-only (/etc/fstab)
2) Have your own compiled kernel installed
3) Have "hda=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi" in /etc/lilo.conf

The first issue gives a puzzling error about not being able to mount
the boot partition. Initially, I thought it had to do with my root
partition being a software RAID device. Took me quite some time to
figure out it was the "ro" in fstab for my boot partition.

After solving the first issue, updating the base system finally went
okay. Then the system reboots to start the upgrade of the remaining
packages. First thing I noticed is that no new kernel was installed, and
my own kernel was not there anymore. I still wonder why this should have
happened. Luckily, I had some othere kernels still lying around, including
the original SuSE 7.3 kernel.

So I booted that kernel, and next thing I saw my CD drive was not
recognized anymore! After some head-scratching, I realized it had
to be the "hda=ide-scsi" in /etc/lilo.conf (which I need for the SCSI
emulation for my ATAPI CD-RW). After rebooting for the zillionth time,
finally the CD drive was recognized again and the upgrade finished.
Oh joy!

Morale: once you start fiddling, you keep on fiddling.

Still, I'm quite happy with the upgrade. Despite the issues as mentioned
above, I was able to pull myself by my boots out of the swamp. And most
settings have been preserved. Those that haven't can easily be restored
by using the saved files (such as /etc/modules.conf.rmpsave).

Paul.


< Previous Next >