Disk integrity
An interesting sidelight on hard disk integrity: an excellent source of info
on the subject is Gibson Research (www.grc.com), run by Steve Gibson. And
the king of all disk-checking programs is his Spinrite program.

But --

Although Steve is no fan of Microsoft, he inexplicably wrote Spinrite so it
only checks Windows partitions. For Windows partitions it does a marvelous
job, verifying the low-level formatting and rewriting tracks so as to refresh
them. I wrote to him once suggesting that Spinrite really ought to operate
on drives, not partitions, but never heard back.

I guess that even the good guys sometimes get things wrong.

Paul Abrahams

< Previous Next >