Re: [SLE] Advice Needed re Home LAN, etc.
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 01:00:04 +0200
On Saturday 27 April 2002 00:49, Anon. Coward wrote:
> I gave the best information I could remember from an article in Linux
> Magazine.

You mean this (source: http://www.linux-mag.com)?

And back in December 1991 something was getting into Andrew Tridgell's way.
Andrew was 24 year old Ph.D. student in the Computer Sciences Laboratory at
the Australian National University, Canberra. He had three computers and two
filesharing protocols. And all three machines -- a PC running DOS, a Sun
Workstation, and a DECstation 3100 running Digital UNIX -- needed to share
files with each other. Tridgell had a program called Pathworks, that let the
DEC box and the PC share files, but it was still hard for the PC and the Sun
-- which used the Network File System (NFS) protocol -- to communicate.
Getting DOS to handle two protocols at once was a nuisance, so Andrew took
the direct route. Seized by the muse of the hacker, he did a little packet
sniffing, and then set about creating a Pathworks-like program for the Sun
machine. Samba's creator did not realize it at the time, but he had written
an implementation of the SMB protocol.

> Where were you? Looking in the mirror?

huh?

> P.S. DEC's protocol DOES predate SMB and WAS pilfered by M$.

No

< Previous Next >