Cannot do upgrade if root partition is software RAID
  • From: Paul Uiterlinden <puiterl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 23:26:30 +0200
Currently, I'm running SuSE 7.3. I want to do an upgrade (not a new
install) to 8.0. This seems to be impossible if the root partition is
a RAID device (software raid, with persistent superblock, automatically
recognized by the kernel).

The thing that drives me crazy is that my RAID _is_ recognized during
boot from CD1. However, if I choose "upgrade of an existing
installation", when it comes to mounting the root partition, it insists
that /dev/sda3 holds my root partition, in stead of /dev/md0.

What can I do to make /dev/md0 to be recognized as my root partition?
Any hint would be greatly appreciated.

Below some more information, to show my current setup.

# mount
/dev/md0 on / type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda3 on /boot type ext2 (ro)

# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid0]
read_ahead 1024 sectors
md0 : active raid0 sdd2[3] sdc2[2] sdb2[1] sda2[0]
15679104 blocks 32k chunks

--
Paul.