Re: [SLE] Linux DNS versus Win2k DNS
  • From: Nick LeRoy <nleroy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 11:24:13 -0500
On Friday 26 April 2002 10:54 am, Art Fore wrote:
> A couple of us at work have convinced our IT guy to look at Linux for the
> DNS server. We have, unfortunately, at Win2k network with 1 server for DNS,
> 1 for Microsoft Exchange, 1 for IIS webserver, Oracle 8i database server,
> and 3 file servers. At one time we had exchange and DNS on the same server
> and it would crash regularly, usually about once a week. Exchange was put
> on another server by itself, now either exchange or the DNS crashes every 2
> to 3 weeks. For awhile, the DNS was crashing every week. You could access
> some websites on the internet, but not all.
>
> Question is, can you run linux server with both DNS and a mail service, or
> Apache webserver on one machine and not have the problems that Win2K does
> with this type setup? We are a small company with 7 servers and about 50
> clients.

Art...

You absolutely can do this. I've done it before, as have *a lot* of other
people. You're main limitation to how much to have the one computer do will
be due to performance -- how loaded down will it be to service all the
requests, etc.

These services all run independently of each other, and I've never heard of
running a combination causing system crashes, etc. Forget all that you
learned in the WinDoze world. ;-)

-Nick