Re: [SLE] Linux DNS versus Win2k DNS
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 18:09:50 +0200
On Friday 26 April 2002 17:54, Art Fore wrote:
> A couple of us at work have convinced our IT guy to look at Linux for the
> DNS server. We have, unfortunately, at Win2k network with 1 server for DNS,
> 1 for Microsoft Exchange, 1 for IIS webserver, Oracle 8i database server,
> and 3 file servers. At one time we had exchange and DNS on the same server
> and it would crash regularly, usually about once a week. Exchange was put
> on another server by itself, now either exchange or the DNS crashes every 2
> to 3 weeks. For awhile, the DNS was crashing every week. You could access
> some websites on the internet, but not all.

heh

> Question is, can you run linux server with both DNS and a mail service, or
> Apache webserver on one machine and not have the problems that Win2K does
> with this type setup? We are a small company with 7 servers and about 50
> clients.

How loudly can I scream yes? :)

Linux could handle that standing on its head. The OS isn't the problem, it can
handle a small/medium-sized installation like yours without problems.
Hardware could become a bottleneck, but on a scale like what you're talking
about I doubt it.

I've set up systems like that myself, and around the net you can find
thousands of success stories about just such a scenario.

Anders