Re: [SLE] Computer Language...
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 15:44:59 +0200
On Friday 26 April 2002 15:34, Michael Garabedian wrote:
> Now if you had to pick a book or manual that would be the best for a
> beginner, not totally new, I can understand some code that has already
> been written, I just want to make my own.

It entirely depends on what type of applications you want to make. If you just
want to make a small GUI to frontend a database application, for example,
there'd be no sense in delving into Donald Knuth's The art of computer
programming, for instance.

If you want to learn Java I can recommend the Core Java series. If you're
going to do scientific programming there's a couple of books in my shelf I
could recommend, such as the abovementioned series by Knuth. If you're going
to do linux system programming there are a number of resources on the net.

But you'd be hard pressed to find just one or two books that talked about the
lot.

Anders